Viking Trikes

Trike Update Aug 21st

Last Tuesday, I didn't get a whole lot done on the trikes. I basically just ended up loosely welding the struts to Joe's frame. So today, I had a good 3 hours to make some real progress.

I ground off all the paint and rust from my struts (a pair of fork arms cut from a junked Schwinn), then I was able to fully weld the struts onto both frames and grind down the welds somewhat so that they weren't so lumpy.

I also fully welded the gusset plates onto the back of the frames and ground those smooth. I've got a couple more gusset/filler plates to weld, but it's almost done.

Trike Update Aug 16th

Last Tuesday, Joe came over with his son and we did a bit more.

Barry came over too with his new welder, a Clarke 95A flux core. Not a lot of power compared to my 125, but it's a capable little buzz box for building tallbikes! I gave him a lesson or two and adjusted the wire feed to where I thought it should be. I showed him what happens when you 'burn through', by purposely creating a molten glob on the edge of a 16ga sheet. It dripped onto the floor and literally splashed molten steel all over the place! Careful now! :P

Trike Update August 9th

Joe and his son came by last night and we made some more progress.

My frame got the rear dropouts attached, and Joe made some strut/stay tubes for his rear end from some forks off of one of the kids bikes I chopped the head tubes off of.

If you're going to build a kit bike or project, I highly recommend building two at once! Lessons are learned putting the first one together, which DRAMATICALLY speed up the second one!

Trike Progress Update August 2nd

Spent a few more hours on the trikes last night. Bloody hot outside! We were all dripping.

Joe brought over the wheels and we were able to get the rear end tacked onto his frame.
The job was pretty tricky, and I'm still not quite sure that we got it exactly right. I think I'll end up making a jig so we can get the dropouts absolutely straight and square. Anyway, it's coming along pretty well!

Also, I think we're going to get some Schwalbe "Big Apple" tires, 20"x2.35". They're big!

+2.5 hours (total 19 hours)

Trike Progress Update August 1st

I felt like my mind was draining out through my eyes while I watched a bit of "The Bachelorette"... So I had to get out!!!

I spent an hour in the garage, chopping the arms off the 6 forks we'll need.
I then ground them all smooth and cleaned up 3 more head tubes for a total of 5. It was hot out there! I was dripping sweat onto the tubes as I was grinding. Sizzle sizzle.

+1 hour (total of 16.5 hours invested)

Pages